Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Blueberries

Need to know where to go to pick blueberries or any other vegetable that might be in season? This website is an incredible resource for picking your own fruits and vegetables. Not only will it give you info on local websites for self harvest operations, but it will also tell you what is in season in your area, where you can find local farms, or even how to can what you've picked.
My mom and I went blueberry picking in Opelika, Alabama a few weeks ago. We picked four quarts of blueberries, and made several pints and half pint jars of jam from this. I would highly recommend the recipe on this website as opposed to the one found in the Joy of Cooking. Usually, I stand firmly behind Joy. In this instance, however, it called for no pectin and too much sugar, making the jam much more runnier than we would have liked. The instructions on the pick your own website are easier than they look, and you can produce a whole lot of jam from this.
Picking your own fruits and veggies is really a great way to get good, cheap produce, and get some exercise in the process. It's a great group outing, and I would also recommend it as an activity for kids. My mom took us berry picking a lot when we were little, and we always had a lot of fun. I also think it's good for kids to know where their food is coming from, so I think farm visits make great field trips, too. 
Also, my mom took that picture. So, I'm giving her credit for it. Thanks, mom. 
Note: If you are in the Opelika area and would like to visit the place where my mom and I picked our blueberries, here is the info:
Billy Allen - Blueberrries
3046 Lee Rd 391, Opelika, AL 36804. Phone: (334) 745-7686. Directions: I-85 exit 60, go south, take 1st left on Old Columbus Road, go to 4-way stop, go straight, farm approx. 1 mile on left. Open: June 1-August 10, 7 am until dark, 7 days a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment