Monday, September 7, 2009

Old Mill of Guilford and Goat!



Ok, I have a whole host of pictures that I have finally loaded (thanks mom, for the digital camera).
These first pictures are actually from one my favorite places, The Old Mill of Guilford. If I were serious about being a total locavore, which I am not, my job would have been made a whole lot easier by this place. Yes, it is actually a working mill, and yes, it is stone ground. They make every type of flour that you could imagine, running the gamut from regular white all-purpose to wheat germ to buckwheat to corn meal, and they even make mixes. Andrew and I would heartily recommend the pancake mix, as well as the blueberry muffin and the oatmeal cookie mixes. If you are having people over and you want to act like you've actually cooked whatever it is, the mixes are rustic enough to actually pass for "from scratch."
About two months ago, I drove out to pick Andrew up from the airport. Because the old mill is about a mile away, I went over to take pictures. Unfortunately, it seemed like a high school had also chosen to have senior pictures made there on this day, so I was a little bit limited by my angles. While I was there, I bought pancake mix and grits. The lady at the registered recommended boiling blueberries or peaches for a fruit sauce, and though I haven't done this yet, it may be something I try this weekend.
Ok, next things next:
Goat! About a month ago, I accidentally bought frozen ground goat from the Cane Creek Farm. (Who, by the way, have the best sausage in the triad area). I had no idea what to do with the goat, but couldn't stand for it to go to waste, either by spoiling before I had a chance to use it or in a bad recipe.
So, after a bit of research, I returned to a recipe for Indian Ground Beef and Potatoes from The Joy of Cooking. Now, I am no expert on Indian food or Indian culture, however, I do know that beef isn't exactly a traditional Indian meal. So, I decided that this might be the best way to use my ground goat.
It was actually very good. I served it with brown basmati rice and raita (cucumber and yogurt salad). I have attached the recipe, which is easy, and which, I promise, doesn't taste like whatever you might expect goat to taste like.
Ingredients:
3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
6 green onions, chopped
1 lb ground goat
1/2 cup canned diced tomato (no salt added)
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed

1. Heat vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add green onions.
2. Once green onions begin to brown, add spices.
3. Stir for about a minute, and then add goat, tomatoes, and salt. Break the ground goat with the back of your spoon, and let brown, stirring occasionally.
4. Once meat is browned and the liquid evaporated (about 15 minutes), add potatoes and one cup of water. Turn the heat down slightly, and let sit until the potatoes are soft and the water evaporated, for about 15-20 minutes.
Serve over brown basmati rice.
Immediately soak the pan in water, or you will have a turmeric stained mess (bright yellow - pretty, but a mess)



Raita:
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2/3 cup yogurt
2 tbsp mint, minced
Add all the ingredients and stir, modifying salt based on taste and yogurt saltiness. (Some yogurts, particularly those with live cultures, are already salty tasting)
Serve immediately, and definitely no more than a few hours after the fact.

Alright, how's that for making up for lost time?


No comments:

Post a Comment